Sunday, April 8, 2012

Washington D.C.

I spent a few days visiting our nation's capitol on the last weekend of March.  I've never been there before, so there was a lot to try to cram in during out 3-day trip.  I knew before I headed out that my first destination was going to be the Vietnam Memorial.

Most of the Vietnam conflict occured during my youth.  I was largely unaware of what was happening 10,000 miles from my secure home.  Over the years, I'd learned through books, movies, and news archives, about the horrors of the war.  Although I know no one who served, let alone was injured or died during the war, it has become a significant topic of study for me. 

The following are a few pictures of the Vietnam memorials:


The Wall




Photographer's note:  This is a very popular monument (rightly so!).  I had set up on a tripod, and needed to take a long (several seconds) exposure.  It was impossible to do this without people crossing in front of the camera, but by some trick of the lens due the long exposure, they do not appear in the picture.

Three Servicemen

This section of the Vietnam Monument area is appropriately called "Three servicemen".  It is meant to depict three soldiers; one Caucasion, one African American, and one Hispanic.  It is nearly impossible to capture the full effect on camera.  The details of the statue is uncanny! 

The stature is positioned with the men staring at the Wall from about 100 yards away across a lawn.  The artist's intent was to have them looking at the names of their fallen comrades.

What do you see in their eyes?  Grief?  Anguish?  Fear?  Weariness?

Or all of the above?





The next few shots of from the Korean War memorial.  I have to admit, if it weren't for M*A*S*H,
I would know little about this conflict.

This memorial is extremely eerie, especially at night.



Our next stop was the Botanical Gardens, located adjacent to the Capitol. 
I could've spent a full day there, but time did not permit. 





The tulips are actually by the Capitol building, but I included them here.  Sue me.


As we walked in and around the city, we came upon the remaining habitants of the Occupy DC movement.
As I don't necessarily agree with their actions, I respect their goals. 








Finally, some pics from around the town.

The Willard Hotel


The Smithsonian Castle


The American Indian Museum (great food at the cafe inside!!!)


Funky Bug!


Washington Monument at night.


Ampitheater at Arlington National Cemetary.


The biggest disappointment was that the Pop Culture room at the Museum of American History was closed.  So no pictures of the Ruby Slippers, Archie's chair, or the Swamp!

No comments:

Post a Comment