Sunday, February 12, 2012

911 Memorial

The following shots are from a 911 Memorial at the Kensico Plaza in White Plains, NY.  It is dedicated to the people from Westchester Cty, NY who lost their lives on that day:



Christopher was from Rye.  I didn't know him, as he was born the year I graduated from Rye High School.  He was on American Airlines Flight 11.


I met Ward on 9/8, just three days before the towers were hit.  I was introduced by a mutual friend at a Rye High School football game.  As we chatted and got to know each other a bit, he told me that he had just started a new job with a company located high up in one of the towers.  He said that he was terrified of heights.  When the news of the crash was reported, he was the first person I thought of.



I did not not know this person, but the epitaph, "-more than just a name", seemed to grab me by the throat.  so to Joseph, I dedicate this post.

This final picture is of the memorial itself.  It's called "The Rising" and was designed to resemble the piece of the building (South tower, I believe) that remained after it came down:




It's impossible to stand in front of this memorial and not be moved to one's very core.



No comments:

Post a Comment